Monday, December 17, 2007

Home teaching and Priesthood blessings

It's been a long time since I've felt inspired to write on this site. The holiday season is in full steam and my Christmas knitting is my priority right now. But this week we've been hit by illness in the form of the cold and the boys are sick. Baby Boy is the worst right now and I took the day out of work to take him up to see his doctor because he's been running a low grade fever and coughing so hard that he made himself vomit. I prayed today that I could get him in for an appointment and that he would be okay. I prayed that I could get him into the car without falling on the several inches thick sheet of ice that flanked both sides of my car. I prayed that I would be sure footed taking him from the car into the doctor's office. Then after we had him fully worked over and they said that he would probably be fine and sent us on our way, I went home and called my Home Teacher. Usually my first thought is to call the missionaries but I just felt that I should call my home teacher and I called Brother Mack. He was home, and came right over, alone as he couldn't reach his companion, but he came just the same. He gave a blessing for the sick to both boys, The Boy first, followed by BB who was feeling better before Brother Mack could finish the blessing and was already squirming to get down off my lap for the first time in 48 hours and run the house. I've never seen a blessing work so quickly! It was wonderful to have that time with him to cuddle and sooth him, but it was more wonderful to have him running and trying to push his big brother around.
Brother Mack is a High Priest as well as a 70, so I knew that his blessing would be special for both. And I know that he loves us because every time he sees the boys, he's never without something special for them. Today he brought over candy bars for the boys, but usually he gives BB a match box car. He even left us a lesson to use for FHE today about the 17 points of the true church. I'm truly thankful for him and how much he cares and shows that love and concern for us. It's an example to me on how to perform my own Visiting Teaching calling. I've lost track of one of my sisters. I should say that all 3 of my sisters are inactive and 2 are hard to visit for reasons of lack of family support. One I work with and see at work. She deals with depression and has long stretches of time where she's hardly able to leave her home. I finally got her out for dinner with a mutual friend last Tuesday and it was wonderful. I'm glad I didn't give up. The other I catch at her jobs, but I haven't been able to find her there lately. Her number isn't the same and her second job closed down so it's gotten tough but I feel very intensely that I need to find her. The third is usually home and wants to get back into the church again. My companion usually calls her and takes her to the enrichment activities that I can't ever go to. We're a motley pair of teachers but we keep trying. I have to say that I've never been successful as a visiting teacher and this coming year, I'm going to try harder to be the difference maker in my sister's opinion of the church and how much we all care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ARE successful as a VT...it is just that you aren't in control of your success. Like a rock tossed into a still pond, you have no idea how or when or even what your influences are.