Sunday, January 20, 2008

Testamony of a father

Today in Sacrament meeting, one of our Brothers gave a talk which shared some letters that his father had written to him while he was out serving a mission in Spain. His father was not a member of the church at the time, but he was serving a mission and had two younger brothers taking institute classes, which his father drove them to. He ended up going into the classes with them after breaking his toe, and no longer being able to walk around the building while he waited. He also had a few spiritual experiences and he knew that the church was true but needed something before he could commit.
This brother started his talk by saying that he normally goes into preparing a talk, hoping that he will reach someone in the crowd but always comes out knowing that it was he that needed to be reached by the topic. Well, today he reached me. And as I sat in the meeting, weeping uncontrollably and clutching my sons close to me, I felt so much joy! I realized that Heavenly Father was answering my prayers in this talk. I realized that this child that sat next to me (my oldest child), long and awkward, was sent here to save me and his father. He led me to search for God when I was still carrying him in my womb, and I realized today that when he goes out and serves his mission, that he may well be the catalyst that finally brings his father into the church. And that is my greatest wish and prayer.

No comments: